Saturday, July 14, 2007

Travelogue : Kerala

Kerala, known as the "God's Own Country" is truely amazing place. I had penned a poem years back on this beautiful place while vacationing in my ancestral home in Kollam.

Great feeling is it to watch these lovely plush green mountains
Unaware was I of myself, seeing nature's heart rending beauty

Cast your eyes around you O Traveller !
Feel the gentle sway of coconut leaves
Dark Shades cast by the rubber trees
and happy rivulets passing by

Don't strain your eyes to look for a barren land
as Mother Earth has decked the soil with minerals rich

Pitter-Patter, sound of raindrops falling on roof tops
Summer rains turns the land to a misty green
Smell of raw earth fills up my thirsty soul

Chimney smoke and the jackfruit trees
leaves me hungry and yearning for more !

Great place is it with rivers wide flowing through villages
boatride in the lagoon has many a sight to offer

Neatly dressed women with long shiny black locks
children walk to school with books in one and umbrella in the other
Toiling away are the farmers in distant fields

Common sights are they, found no where else,
Land of coconuts and God's own country is it known as
Sage Parasuram's find in south, faces the might green Arabian Sea.


Check out my blog for more on Kerala.

No comments: